In 1946, the Puerto Rico Industrial Development Co. decided to build a luxury hotel in the region. The hotel would take the prime spot next to the San Geronimo Fort, with 300 rooms alongside modern amenities. A competition was held to find the architects to design the hotel, with Toro Ferrer y Torregrosa providing the winning design. The Development Co. then invited seven American hotel companies to bid to operate the hotel. Conrad Hilton was the chosen operator, making it the first Hilton hotel outside of the continental US.
From 1949 to now, the hotel has expanded to include 652 rooms, the beautiful Condado Lagoon Villas and a Tower with 96 spacious studios and villas.
Invention of the Piña Colada
In 1954, our bartender Ramón “Monchito” Marrero created a special cocktail that mixed rum, coconut cream and pineapple juice – and the delicious Piña Colada was born! The drink was served personally by the creator for 35 years while he worked as a bartender at the hotel, and in 1978, the Piña Colada was declared the official drink of Puerto Rico. In 2004, Caribe Hilton was presented with a proclamation signed by Puerto Rico’s Governor Sila María Calderón, supporting the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Piña Colada.